Work is a terrible thing. In light of that universal truth, we’ve extended the submission deadline for Faces, our next BPO, to October 17th.
Please send your submissions to: email@example.com.
- Theme: Faces
- Length: 3,000-8,000 words
- Format: MS Word 97-2003 (If you’re using a recent version of Word then please save as a .doc and not a .docx file, this will help smooth out compatibility issues.)
- Title: Centered, Times New Roman 16 point; with a byline below also centered and in 14 point
- Text, font and size: Justified; Times New Roman, 12 point
- Spacing: Single, with block quotes separated by an empty line on both sides; paragraphs indented but section breaks separated by an empty line and three centered asterisks
- Footer: www.drugstorebooks.com (on the left) © Your Name 2014 (on the right — stretched to fit the length of the footer)
- Quotation conventions: Double quotes (“faces”) with embedded single quotes (‘faces’) for reported speech, single quotes for reported thoughts, double quotes to mark text off (i.e. so-called “~~”), song titles, etc.
- Italics: Use for emphasis, book/magazine/TV show/film/album titles
- Referencing: Any standard academic convention is fine as long as it’s used consistently; both footnotes and end notes are acceptable, though any applicable footnotes will not be included in the opening section posted on the site
- Deadline: 17 October
If you’re wondering how it will all pan out, here’s Nick’s “No Contest” from our last round as an example. Please note too that all of our previous entries are available on the By Prescription Only: Themed Writing page. All submissions will be edited by us but the final decision regarding any suggested changes to the content will be left up to the author. The author will also retain full copyright privileges and ownership; we’re here to display your work and help it reach a broader audience, not to profit from it. We’re looking forward to reading what you come up with!
Next week, me again with another look at self-publishing v’s traditional.